If you see from some distance, you will sense it a big bush. However, the case is totally opposite. Actually, it is a cluster of 33 pine trees at the foot of the small hill, on the remote Alaskan Island Adak. It is part of the volcanic Aleutian archipelago. These pine trees huddled together in the vast treeless landscape.
This volcanic island has connected to the continents of North America and Asia. The constant overcast skies, windy conditions, cold temperatures only benefit to grass, mosses, and low-lying flowering plants grow here.
Basically, it is an unsuccessful army experiment in World War Two. The Japanese army overcomes the two westernmost The Aleutian Islands. Thus, the United States decides to boost the sagging spirit of soldiers and defense in that area, by building airbase at Adak.
During war operation, it was home to more than six thousand servicemen. Therefore, extreme weather conditions make life miserable here. The constant rain, snow, sleet, fog, and mud make the defense difficult.
The U.S. Army General Buckner presented the idea of planting pine trees might boost his troop’s confidence. He was anxious about his soldier’s lonesome attitude. Thus, the formal planting trees idea was implemented from 1943 till 1945 to brighten up the situation.
Pines are very robust trees, can accommodate any severe climate. Unluckily, this pine forest, could not survive the harsh climate conditions and lost it’s completely, except one tree. Therefore, after a few years, these pine trees managed to grow back.
At that time a signboard was placed. “You are now ENTERING and LEAVING The ADAK NATIONAL FOREST” here on a whim by soldiers in the early 1960s.
Therefore, after fifty years, microclimate conditions changed, which benefited these pine trees, and they are well survived by the harsh climate. Thus, this grove of pine trees is claimed to be the smallest National Forest in the United States.
This is completely a wonderful example of robust nature through many blustery winters that didn’t damage the pine trees. The local peoples decorated this forest every December. These are not tall trees, but survived the brutal wind and rainy conditions suffers the island.
Keep in mind, that the largest National Forest in the United State is Tongass National Forest, which is also situated in Alaska. This National Forest covers 17 million acres and harbors the remnants of vast glaciers that once dominated the landscape.
Product You May Interested
- Feel Emotional Freedom! Release Stress, Heal Your Heart, Master Your Mind
- 28 Day Keto Challenge
- Get Your Customs Keto Diet Plan
- A fascinating approach to wipe out anxiety disorders and cure in just weeks, to become Anxiety free, relaxed and happy.
- Flavor Pairing Ritual Supercharges Women’s Metabolisms
- The best Keto Diet Program
- Boost Your Energy, Immune System, Sexual Function, Strength & Athletic Performance
- Find Luxury & Designer Goods, Handbags & Clothes at or Below Wholesale
- Unlock your Hip Flexors, Gives you More Strength, Better Health and All-Day Energy.
- Cat Spraying No More – How to Stop Your Cat from Peeing Outside the Litter Box – Permanently.
- Anti-aging nutritional unexplained weight gain, stubborn belly fat and metabolic slowdown. Reach Your Desired Weight in a Week and Stay There.
- Get All Your Healthy Superfoods In One Drink